Definition of ambiguity (from Merriam-Webster):
1a: the quality or state of being ambiguous, especially in meaning.
The ambiguity of the poem allows several interpretations.
b: a word or expression that can be understood in two or more possible ways: an ambiguous word or expression
Are you uncomfortable with change or uncertainty? Many of us may not do well on fuzzy problems with no clear solution or outcomes. Many prefer more data than others to make a decision. All of this ambiguity leads to doing things the same way time after time. Why?
- Avoid conflict
- Avoid criticism
- Avoid risk
- Likes Structure and control
According to studies, 90% of the problems of middle managers and above are ambiguous – it’s neither clear what the problem is nor what the solution is. The higher you go, the fuzzier things get. Most people with a brain, given unlimited time and 100% of the information, could make accurate and sound decisions. The real rewards go to those who can comfortably make more good decisions than wrong with less than all of the information in less time, with few or no precedents on how it was solved before.
1. Feeling Overwhelmed? Take small incremental steps.
2. Perfectionist? Balance thinking with action.
3. Stuck with what you know? Broaden your horizon.
4. Disorganized? Get organized.
5. Daunted by complexity? Visualize the problem
6. Afraid to fail? Develop a philosophical stance toward failure.
7. Stressed Out? Manage your stress
Image if you could:
- Effectively cope with change
- Can shift gears comfortably
- Can decide and act without having the total picture and be right
- Isn’t upset when things are up in the air
- Doesn’t have to finish things before moving on
- Can comfortable handle risk and uncertainty
Do you see a mover and shaker image of yourself? I do. Want to feel supported? Want a group of incredible business owners like yourselves but 5 years down the road from where you are now to get your questions answered? Then go check out how you can join our mastermind group. It is by invitation only. You would need to complete an application form (2 mins to complete). This is your fast pass, your quick que, your back door invitation to compress time and maximize your opportunities by tapping into the minds of many!
Keep Helping, Keep Serving,
Cheryl Pelekis, RN “The Solutionist”