I had a call this week with one of our old clients (Robert) who said:
“I am just in a summer slump. I don’t know what is going on. I think I am doing the right things, but the numbers are not growing.”
“I make headway a week or two, and then my referrals drop off. The board is wanting more. We told them we would hit a specific number, and we are not there yet.”
“I have to get more from my team, and I don’t know what to do.”
I told Bob, “I am glad you called! So many of us are in this position at one point in our lives – the summer slump!”
I asked Bob a few more clarifying questions:
- What was going on with his marketing team?
- What changes have recently happened with his Operations team?
- How’s intake?
- What was the one thing that he believed could be done to move the needle?
His initial response – like many of you – was staffing. “We need more staff.” He said to me.
I asked, “Besides staffing, what else would move the needle?”
He paused for a long minute – there was silence on the phone and then said, “I think the issue is focus.”
“They need focus” and then quickly added “and energy. I think this long, drawn-out COVID state is making them tired. Everyone relies on the marketers to bring the energy, and they are tired too.”
I can so relate. All the marketers we mentor and coach are tired.
And when you get tired, you need two things:
- A clear path
Many of the teams we work with are in the same position. Consider one of our favorite teams in the south. They are in the middle of COVID numbers rising. Their referral sources are EXHAUSTED! They “snap” at the marketers, and their compassion for their patients is declining – they just “need this bed” for the next patient.
How can you market in an environment like this?
Inspiration and connection – if your tank is empty, it’s hard to give to your referral sources.
- Put on your own “oxygen mask first” before helping your referral sources.
When you are tired, you need a clear path – what are you highlighting this week?
- Have a clear, educational message in an email, Voice Mail, and in-person to ensure the message gets to your referral sources. (you need it in all formats – email, text, VM, and in-person)
- Connect to the human first – our referral sources face a trauma – connect to the human before moving into your educational message and highlighting a patient type.
This is a volatile time.
There will be no “new normal.” Simply volatility in our marketing space. When we understand that truth, we know that continuous adaptation is the only way to move forward.
We have adapted our foundational program, RoadMap to Referrals, to gain referrals during this volatile time so that you can serve more patients. Gain more referrals and impact more family’s lives.
Curious how we have adapted the system?
Together we GROW!